Monday, October 17, 2016

Benefits of Multigenerational Households

In decades past, we Americans have become used to the concept of the nuclear family. Traditionally this consists of the mom, dad and kids and sometimes pets. But in other cultures such as Africa and Latin America, multigenerational iving is not anything new. I grew up in a multigenerational household for most of my childhood and teenage years. When my parents worked, my late great-grandmother would watch me and then when my grandmother returned home from work, she watched me. My aunt also lived with me so she did all the fun stuff such as the snowball stand, activities at the library, and at the movies. My daughter is also being raised in a multigenerational household. Here are some benefits of multigenerational living.

Grandparents Experience More Fulfillment

An important part of multigenerational households is that the grandparents get to enjoy the family more. I can't tell you how many times my dad gets excited whenever he sees my daughter walk in his room. They play together all of the time and he takes her outside quite often. He already has these long term plans for her and it makes my heart glad because since her father is not heavily involved in her life, my dad is a father figure. My mom just adores her too; she plays music for her and applies firm discipline when needed. My grandmother usually has her in the garden in the morning and gives her sweets.

Financial Benefits

It is also cost-effective to live in a multigenerational household. If I have to work, my parents or brother might watch her for the day and if they are unable to, my grandmother or aunt might do it. This eliminates the need for me to pay high daycare prices each month or week, and I can put more of my income towards savings and contributing to the family finances. In addition, since my grandmother is the one who is in charge of the mortgage for the home, our income helps her pay for it as well as other utilities. My aunt brings her everywhere so she doesn't have to worry about bus or cab fare.

Timeless Wisdom

When I was a child, my grandmother instilled biblical values that are still important to me today. I also learned these from my late great-grandmother, mom and my aunt. From my dad I learned the importance of hard work and taking initiative regarding achievement of goals. My brother taught me a lot about the importance of having discernment and not falling for every fad or new way of thinking. My mom taught me about being a proper lady, housekeeping skills and the rules of dating and marriage.

Three Times the Fun

There is so much fun in a multigenerational household. My family often goes on road trips and we hang out at restaurants, festivals, shopping malls and pumpkin patches. During these road trips we discuss family memories and talk about any long term goals we might have individually and as a family. In the home we dance, play board games, have spirited debates, and cook and clean together. There is never a dull moment in a multigenerational household.

With these benefits, it is no surprise that we are seeing a revived popularity and interest in building a multigenerational household.

No comments:

Post a Comment