Wednesday, September 28, 2016

How Motherhood Changed My Perspective

As a child-free woman in the past before motherhood, I didn't pay much attention to child safety issues or the constant toy recalls that have been in the news over the past few years. I also didn't care that much about shaping the minds of future generations spiritually and emotionally. Now that I'm a mom, I have started caring a lot more about these things. I just want to discuss how my outlook and priorities have changed due to motherhood.

I realized that I have to model the kind of attitudes and behaviors that I want my daughter to have. As a result I decided to become more intentional in setting a good example before her. I do everything I can to have patience with her even when she tests the boundaries. She is a toddler so that is to be expected. I also tell her I love her and show affection as often as possible so that she can learn empathy for others. I often eat healthy foods in front of her so that she will understand the importance of them. It is paying off because she likes fruits such as bananas, berries and watermelon.

I now see that since becoming a mother, I can't handle finances any way I please anymore. My finances are to be used primarily for the provision of my daughter's material needs. I'm thinking about opening a savings account that will be used for emergencies and as a single mother, it's crucial for our financial stability at home. In addition, as a freelancer I can no longer settle for clients that will pay me peanuts. I need to actively seek out higher paying gigs going forward because of the bills I pay each month.

Another priority of mine is the desire to learn additional life skills because I need to teach them to my daughter one day. I do a poor job of styling hair so recently I started watching online videos to get an idea of the basics of hairstyling since my daughter's hair is growing beautifully. I'm also interested in learning basic sewing skills so that I can teach them to her.

Everyday is a teachable moment both for me and my daughter. While I'm teaching her how to walk and climb up stairs, she's teaching me to slow down the pace in my life. I'm teaching her to put away her toys and pick things up but she teaches me a lot about patience. While I'm so concerned about getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight, my daughter still wants to take me by the hand and go outside with me in spite of my postpartum figure. She only cares about the time I spend with her.

These are just a few of the lessons that I already learned since becoming a mother, and through the grace of God I hope to be a godly example before her on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment